The Tiffany dynasty was founded in 1837 at 259 Broadway
in New York City by Charles Louis Tiffany and partner John B
Young. In 1847 they expanded and moved to 271 Broadway, it
is here that American made silver finally took its place
alongside the Tiffany name. John C Moore a very talented
local siversmith played a major role in this development.
The firm moved yet again in 1853, to larger quarters at 550
Broadway and the name was changed to that of which it is
known today Tiffany & Co. In 1867, they exhibited at the
Exposition Universelle in Paris, where Tiffany became the
first American firm to win an award for excellence in
silver. In 1868 Charles L. Tiffany amalgamated with the
Silversmith firm Edward C. Moore ( Johns son ) and
consequently became a manufacturer of silver as well as a
retailer.By the time Edward C. Moores death in 1891, Tiffany
& Co. had won major awards at successive European and
American Expositions and had become the most internationally
respected American silver manufacturer. The founder Charles
L. Tiffany passed away in 1902. Tiffany & Co. moved to
its present premises at 5th. Avenue in 1940 and remained in
the hands of Tiffany and Moore families until 1955.
Tiffany & Co. continues the legacy of producing some of the
worlds finest designs and quality in silver.
After the Moore silversmithing firm was absorbed into
Tiffany & Co. ( 1868 ) and Tiffany began its own production
of its own silverware it became the tradition to mark each
piece with the initial of the Artistic director or President
of the firm. this practice continued until the mid 1960s.
Conclusion: Looking from right to left.
1) The name Tiffany & Co. is the logo since 1853 to this
2) 19750 is the pattern number. 1920 pattern nr. 19683 -
1921 pattern nr. 19831.
3) 373 is the order number.
4) In 1851 seeking to give their silver goods
distinction, Tiffany became the first American firm to use
the English Sterling 925/1000.
5) M this was the initial of the Artistic Director at the
time John C. Moore 2nd.Directorship between 1907 - 1947.
This is a hallmark of a piece of sterling silver
made by Tiffany & Co.in New York City, under the
directorship of John C. Moore 2nd. in 1921.